What Are the Necessary Attributes of Smart IoT Devices?
What is a smart edge device? The Internet of Things and Industry 4.0 are driving high ROIs and new revenue opportunities as the use of smart edge devices is becoming more common in almost every industry in every region of the globe. And, with increased intelligence at the edge of the network, these devices are being used for data collection and control, but what exactly makes them smart?
In this session, you will get insights into key attributes of a smart end node:
- Simple and easy to use – ideally supporting remote management and configuration
- Agility: modularity, multiple ranges, dual/hybrid radios, software/OTA upgradable
- Reliability: always connected, always up to date, always accurate from a stable supplier
- SWaP: reduced size, weight and especially low-power for battery-powered applications
- Programmability: business rules, machine learning, logic at the edge, reduced latency
- Security: Building things that are secure is smart.
- Scott Nelson is Vice President of Product, Digi International. Scott Nelson is responsible for directing the company’s vision, strategy, and product roadmaps in collaboration with Research and Development, Sales, and Operations. Mr. Nelson was most recently Chief Technical Officer (CTO) and Executive Vice President of Corporate Development at SkyWater Technology Foundry, where he led strategy, growth, and new-offering development. As CEO and CTO of Reuleaux Technology, LLC, he advised companies on strategies and new-business development in IoT markets. Previously, Scott Nelson spent more than 15 years with Logic PD, ultimately rising to CTO and Executive Vice President of Enterprise Growth.